Sunday, December 18, 2005

Guest Trek Blogging #2

The Original Series.

I'm not going to spend much time talking about this show, because I don't feel it's necessary. All arguments against this show are bullshit. They're bogus. You can't make an argument against this show, and no Trek fan should even attempt to.Yes, the original series produced some bad episodes. Some really bad ones. Some horrendously bad ones. It also gave us some of most memorable, amazing stuff ever seen on TV---not only "for its time," the phrase which some people like to quantify their compliments to the original show with---but period. Case closed.Don't give any of that crap about bad special effects. It's not a valid argument. Not even remotely valid. Sure, they were bad special effects. Trek is not about special effects. It's about ideas and it's about people. The special effects are so inconsequential that they are not even worth mentioning. Even though I did. But I had, because some of you people will not shut up about them.Don't talk to me about bad acting. I dare you to watch any original series episode - any episode - and tell me that the Spock character, no matter how brilliantly portrayed by Nimoy, would have worked if it hadn't been for Shatner's performance to counter him. Folks, I love to make fun of Shatner, too….you've probably seen me do it. Hell, the guy makes fun of himself. But without his acting - bad or good, call it whatever you want to - there would have been no Trek. Got it? Good.And finally, do not - I repeat, DO NOT- say one more word to me about "how come the Klingons look so different in the later shows and movies?" I don't care why they looked different. The studio had more money, so they had better makeup….that's why they looked different. There's a thing called suspension of disbelief…get acquainted with it.The original Star Trek series is golden. Golden, I say. Without it, there would have been no others. You can't touch it. Don't even try.And if after all my convincing arguments, you still don't like it….well, all I can say is, you're missing out on something really groovy.

1 comment:

imfunnytoo said...

Early in his television career, Mr. Shatner had not yet become an exersize in self-parody.

His "Twilight Zone" work and the first season of "Star Trek" come off really well...no overacting or mugging to the camera. (People will argue with me I'm sure about the airplane gremiln Twilight Zone, or "The Enemy Within" from Trek's first season. [BZZT, wrong answer, and *thank* you so much for playing...] The emotional overdrive/scenery chewing present in both of those is *essential to the plot.* I don't think any criticism of his work should apply to those years

And just clear your head of Shatner bashing for one hour (I do it as well, heck I've done it *here.* and watch "Balance of Terror," from Trek's first season. *Then* come back here and tell me that Kirk, or that *Shatner's characterization of Kirk,* is uneeded or clownish. You won't be able to do it.

And there are two speeches from other Trek episodes that the cynical laugh at as corny....they still make me tear up, or want to stand and salute.

"*Be* the Captain of this Enterprise Mr. Spock! Find a reason for saving the Halkans and make it stick!"..."In every revolution, there's one man with a vision..."

and, of course..."Risk...Risk is our *business. It's why we're aboard her!" [the Enterprise]